The big question I always get asked is whats the best bourbon for an Old Fashioned cocktail?
The answer for me is Buffalo Trace.
Why? Well the Old Fashioned cocktail is a simple recipe of whiskey, bitters, sugar and a little water from dilution which means the whiskey will shine through as the hero of the drink and in my opinion needs to be a perfect well balanced bourbon and something that is also great neat or on the rocks.
Buffalo Trace has been making legendary bourbon whiskey for over 220 years through prohibition and two world wars. The Buffalo Trace distillery has been awarded ‘Distillery of the Year’ 7 times and Buffalo Trace has been awarded over 22 national and international awards.
Buffalo Trace has a complex aroma of vanilla, mint and molasses. Pleasantly sweet to the taste with notes of brown sugar and spice that give way to oak, toffee, dark fruit and anise. This whiskey finishes long and smooth with serious depth.
Now lets take my favourite Bourbon and make up the cocktail –
- 1 x sugar cube or Bar spoon of sugar
- 2 x dashes of angostura bitters
- 2 x dashes of orange bitters
- 60 ml of Buffalo Trace Bourbon
- Add all ingredients to mixing glass and crush the cube with muddler.
- Add bitters, bar spoon of water on cube and muddle or stir till dissolved.
- Add cubed ice to the mixing glass.
- Stir down until chilled or desired taste is achieved.
- Put fresh large ice cube in rocks glass, Strain over liquid from mixing glass to rocks glass.
- Twist a large piece of orange zest over the drink and drop into the glass.
There are many ways to slightly change this recipe for personal preference so if you wanted to try something out just send me a question and I will be happy to help!